Friday, June 26, 2015

A Wedding Gift

I've been dragging my feet to write this blog post knowing that my written words are not going to do my true feelings justice. But I'm going to give it my best shot. :) 

I met Sarah in first period English on the first day of 7th grade. We nervously realized that we both had a love for the band Hanson. And boy, did our love run deep. Our friendship began immediately. We planned sleepovers. We threw birthday parties for each Hanson brother, complete with their favorite snacks. If Hanson was going to make a TV appearance we would be on the phone with each other, screaming, and confessing our love for them. The summer between 7th, and 8th grade we flew to Seattle to see Hanson in concert at the Key Arena. We screamed, we cried, and we swore Taylor and Zac looked right at us. 


Screaming our hearts out for Hanson at the Key Arena in Seattle, summer of 1998. 
Photo courtesy of Sarah Evans

Through high school we were still close, and had a great circle of friends. But eventually we all drifted apart as our interests, and focus on life started to change as we prepared to enter the real world. After high school I settled down, and started a family rather quickly. Sarah was off to college, and travelling the world. 

Even though we were taking different paths to start out adulthood, Sarah would pop up from time to time. Reflecting on it now, the timing was always perfect. She brought me peanut butter blossoms over one Christmas break when I had terrible morning (all day) sickness. She came to visit me when she was home for summer break, and I was a nervous new mom. When my husband had to travel for work, and wasn't able to go to the Lion King musical, Sarah was up for the task of sitting with a 4 year old, and a very squirmy 2 year old with me.

Every time Sarah and I have reconnected since high school I've always felt supported by her, and even though so much time has passed I feel like we sort of just fall back into that close friendship we had so many years ago. 

When I received a wedding invitation for her last year, I just knew I wanted to make her something that would reflect all those warm, and fuzzy friendship feelings. I also wanted to create something that would represent her, and her now husband, Tony. What is a quilter to make? Why a quilt, of course. :) 

For Sarah's wedding quilt I used Honey Sweet by Fig Tree and Co. The floral prints totally remind me of Sarah's sweet disposition, and love for the English countryside. I decided that bear paw blocks were a great representation of Sarah, and Tony's love for adventure, Alaska, and the great outdoors.  




To finish this quilt off, I made a hand embroidered (my first time!) label complete with their wedding date. 




Sarah, and Tony's wedding was nothing short of magical. The love, and support was palpable. Even after a week since the event, it brings a smile to my face, and warms my heart to see someone that has supported me in many ways over the year to be surrounded by so much love. I'm looking forward to watching Sarah, and Tony continue to build their lives together. 


Sarah's wedding day June 19th, 2015. 


  

2 comments:

  1. Christina! This is so sweet-- I'm sitting here desperately trying to pull it together. The quilt is so gorgeous and the thought and time you put into it means more than you can imagine. I love the bear paw pattern with the florals-- it is so us. I love you SO much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story and gorgeous quilt! You brought tears to my eyes :) XX!

    ReplyDelete